Friday 5 August 2016

A basic girl's guide to racing

RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE (to the tune of Rihanna's 'Work', of course).

I've written before about my love of racing but the build-up to an 'A race' (e.g. one that you're really after a PB for) can sometimes mess up training, mess up social plans and mess up my bed sheets...


The week before:
I've done a few half marathons but don't intend on doing any more for a while (they are HELL), so the longest distance I'd be racing is a 10km. I like this distance as it's manageable to fit into my life and doesn't require me to pull back my training very much in the weeks before racing. BUT the week before (and this applies to any distance really) I'd probably change my training a bit. Monday would probably be a paced session (e.g. 4 x 1km at race pace/quicker), Tuesday I'd do a normal long-ish run but Thursday's track session would DEFINITELY be planned with the race in mind (thanks Dave) and - if racing on a Sunday - Friday would be a 4 mile easy run and then probably nothing on the Saturday. A 'light jog' as Simone would say won't hurt though. So yeeeeah, the week before a race is quite enjoyable but also a bit stressful because if you don't hit your pace then people start to shit themselves that they are totally slow etc etc etc.

Probably from like Thursday onwards I will try to eat healthy (sweet potatoes, stir fry, bananas etc) and not drink alcohol - although I've had a couple of drinks before races in the past and it's been fiiiiiiine. NEVER enough to feel drunk though (or even tipsy), I've done this too (obviously) and it did not end well.

 
Friday/Saturday eve:
Depending on when the race is/how many photographers are likely to be there, the day before I race I'm likely be found with bottle of fake tan in hand, fucking up the gaff. The pre-race tan is a vital for most of our training group, even when it's cross-country season and is absolutely shitting down with rain. 90% of us will finish with very fetching orange streaks running down our shins and gathering at the ankle but we stay committed to the tan nonetheless. The other bonus is that you can draw on your own abs, hahahha. My favourites are the Garnier Instant Tan (only use when you know it's going to be dry weather!) or St Moritz Spray Tan (this stays on for like a WEEK and looks really natural).


Race morning:
The morning of a race is always super hectic. Even if it's not hectic, it is very hectic in my head. I always set a really early alarm but am pretty much guaranteed to wake up before it anyway. Ben can sleep through anything so just lets me get on with it until Sunday Brunch comes on the TV and he has something to do other than watch me flap around the room full of nerves.

Breakfast:
A BANANA. Every single time. Bananas are my babies. I eat one every single day without fail and once drove to Tesco at midnight because I' didn't have one to eat before my race the next morning. I used to religiously have banana chopped up on 2 slices of GF fruit loaf and a Petit Filous yoghurt, but now I branch out and sometimes have banana chopped up in a bowl of 'toasted buckwheat' (as middle-class and wanky as it sounds on paper) and some almond milk (again, middle-class and wanky. I'm not middle-class, lol). Always accompanied by a green tea and constant sips of water just in case I'm dehydrated (which I won't be).


Other things in my mouth:
I have coeliac, am a female, run lots and have the contraceptive injection so I have low calcium and iron levels and am at high risk of osteoporosis and anaemia. YAY. Everyday I take two MASSIVE calcium tablets, one iron tablet, one vitamin C tablet (to help absorb the iron tablet) and Ibuprofen throughout, just in case anything ever starts to hurt... I always make sure I take all my tablets BEFORE a race, with my breakfast. It probably makes no difference whatsoever but mentally it makes me feel prepared so THERE.

Outfit:
Sometimes I lay my kit out the night before, but me and Ben don't have a massive space to live in so recently I haven't bothered doing that. What I wear to race in is also unlikely to make a difference to my time or position but again, it's a mental thing innit. Comfy pants are KEY. Also, no VPL plz as I'll of course be wearing a tiny pair of Nike shorts and don't want quadruple bum-cheek action going on. I have a few bras that I wear to race in, they are mainly just the ones that don't dig into my ribs - this is so I can breathe properly and also to give my abs the best chance to shine on their big day. From about March onwards I'll wear my Bristol & West AC crop top - hence the healthy eating a few days before - but for horrendously cold winter races I'll wear my B&W long vest. I always wear ankle socks to race in because I think they make my calves look less big.

On top of my racing outfit I will chuck on leggings (2 pairs in the winter), a t-shirt, long-sleeved top, hoody and a coat. I get cold sooooo easily and would rather be safe than sorry before we get to the start line...


Face:
Some of my friends are amazing at doing their make up for nights out etc but I don't really have a clue... I tend to look the same no matter how long I spent doing it, but sometimes I wear eyeliner and sometimes I don't (heheheh). For races I do wear a full face of make up though! I know some people think it's pointless but it makes me feel better about any photos being taken and stops everyone from seeing my ridiculously red race. This is the standard foundation, powder, highlighter, bronzer then OBVZ I fill my eyebrows in, whack some mascara on and if it's a super special occasion I'll put on some lipliner and lip balm. I used to wear lipstick for races but it made my mouth really dry and gammy (GACKY MOUTH, YUCK) and I have quite dark lips anyway so can get away with some baaaaalm. Hate the word balm so much, how do you even say it properly?!?!


Hair:
PLAITS. FRENCH PLAITS. NORMAL PLAITS. HALF HEAD PLAITS. PLAIT AND PONYTAIL. Sometimes I do just whack it in a ponytail but recently I've fallen in love with a good braid or two.

FINAL PREP:
I think Ben can confirm that the morning of a race I am so irritable and angsty. I usually pace around the bedroom like a mad woman before we leave then chuck my entire life into a bag 'just in case'. I have a BEAUTIFUL velvet rucksack that I got as a birthday present (shoutout to Mone & Mott) and I take it to all my races. I used to take a huge sports bag but I'M A LAAAADY and my velvet backpack is just so much prettier to look at. In this bag will be spare socks, a spare t-shirt, more bananas, some sort of snack bar, more Ibuprofen, my iPod and my purse in case I need to reward myself after a craaaaacking race and buy aaaallll the running gear. Once we get to the race its just a 20 minute warm up, all extra clothes off, iPod on and GOOOOO!

RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE

1 comment:

  1. I have used Dr Aziba herbal Medicine cure remedy for 2 WEEKS now. So far, it has cured my HERPES, eliminated my COLD SORE, improved energy and metabolism, in the morning I feel recharged and I no longer feel sleepy after a meal. As for the scent, it does smell like motor oil but I chase it down with 100% Herbal medicine from Dr Aziba. twice a day AFTER a meal. I also experienced vivid dreams for about 5 days now it’s diminishing to during the first 2 or 3 hours of sleep . contact Dr Aziba: EMAIL: priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348100368288 and He also have herbs medicine to cure some popular diseases....


    ReplyDelete